Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#31463 - 23/05/2001 17:26 Emplode says "Deleting all items" !!!
Smoker_Man

Loc: Calgary, CANADA
Just to make sure that I havent done anything wrong, I havent synced in a long while (like 3+ months), now when I connect the empeg via emplode, I make my chages to the database, then hit the sync button. It goes through it's drive checks, and more often that not it hangs. (I havent had a chance to verify this with another computer, but this is somewhat unrelated, I think).

But when the drives pass muster, the first thing emplode tells me in the process box is "Deleting all items", WTF? And there it hangs, always, without a doubt, the little spinning circle on the empeg stops, and emplode implodes.

I am running 1.02 dev, with displayserver.

Any ideas anyone?
And I also just had a run-in with the slippery knob issue, but I fixed that with a little dab o'glue on the post, then slid the knob back on. Then I promptly emptied the glue in the bag and wrote this post, weeeee!!

Smoker_Man
#080000449 MkII - 36Gb Blue

#31464 - 29/05/2001 12:09 Re: Emplode says "Deleting all items" !!! [Re: Smoker_Man]
Smoker_Man

Just to follow up, I have tried some synchs on another pc (win2k) and they worked fine. So I am going to blow away this win98 box, I had to do it anyway, so thanks for all your silence!

Cheers

Smoker_Man

#31465 - 29/05/2001 12:50 Re: Emplode says "Deleting all items" !!! [Re: Smoker_Man]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
I was also hoping someone would respond...
"Deleting all items" sounds very scary to me. Was this message still present in your latest sync's ?

Frank van Gestel

#31466 - 29/05/2001 14:26 Re: Emplode says "Deleting all items" !!! [Re: Smoker_Man]
Sevenger
journeyman

Loc: Hamburg/Germany
You can be sure if I would know how to solve the problem I would help you but, sorry, I'm using Win2K and never had this problem!
I think it would be good if you could describe when this message appears, what you have changed before so someone who knows more about it could help others with the same problem.
Win9x is used by enough people to make it worth to know more about this problem.

Fabian
S/N 080000540 12GB blue

#31467 - 30/05/2001 12:09 Re: Emplode says "Deleting all items" !!! [Re: Sevenger]
Smoker_Man

I personally belive this whole process is being caused by my somewhat unstable win98SE install. I have enough 3rd party software to be thrown in jail for quite some time (shh dont tell anyone), so it is time to renew the circle of OS life. And so as a result of all the extraneous software, I suspect that emplode isnt quite working right, as I tried three methods of initiating a synch (Ethernet, USB, and even serial) all proved to be futile on this computer. So I moved over to my work pc, win2k and ethernet, and everything worked like it was supposed to.

So I havent done any hard core investigation into why the win98 box pukes on synch. (like investigation of shared libraries, real time monitoring, registry monitoring/diving, etc.)

I am pretty sure that the secuirity features built into the Empeg & Emplode do not actually delete fids if the registration info doesnt match. (Rob or Roger, can you verify?)

So I am just going to chalk this up as another reason to blow away this partition and start from scratch. And while I am at it, I might as well redo my other server and my firewall, since my current contract is over and I now have some serious free time.

I am sorry if I cannot shed some light as to why this is happening, but my whole home computing environment is very non-conventional, so I wouldnt be surprised if any of the network client software is interfereing with the emplode synch process.
One suggestion (if this is happening to you) would be to log into the workstation locally, bypass any network logins, and try to synch again. (This didnt work for me, but I have some very customised Novell services, and samba/nfs stuff running in the back end, so I suspect they might be causing some problems with an already overloaded/unstable win98 loadout.)

Thanks

Smoker_Man

#31468 - 30/05/2001 14:16 Re: Emplode says "Deleting all items" !!! [Re: Smoker_Man]
Sevenger
journeyman

Loc: Hamburg/Germany
Every time is a good time to reinstall Win9x (or better: deleting it)
And most of this moments its more than necessary! :-)

Fabian
S/N 080000540 12GB blue